Best Back Support for Office Chairs 2020 Reviews
Office Solution Pro is supported by its readers. As an Amazon Associate, we earn commission from qualifying purchases at no additional costs to you. We hope you love the products we recommend!
Short on time? These are the top picks for the best back support for office chairs:
Did you know about 80 percent of adults experience lower back pain at some point in their lifetimes? According to this Low Back Pain Fact Sheet, it’s the most common cause of job-related disability and a leading contributor to missed workdays. Sadly, sitting at the office has become a part of our lives.
While choosing an ergonomic office chair can help promote proper sitting posture, not everyone has the freedom to change their office furniture. Therefore, the next best thing is to choose the best back support for office chairs. By the end of this post, you should be able to find relief from your back pain.
Everlasting Comfort Memory FOam Combo
Cureve Natural Therapies Lumbar Support
RELAX SUPPORT Back SUpport Pillow
Samsonite Ergonomic Lumbar Support Pillow
LoveHome Memory Foam Lumbar Support Cushion
Best Back Support for Office Chairs 2020 Reviews
Choosing the best lumbar support for office chairs can be overwhelming. There are just too many options available. To help narrow down your search, we’ve put in countless hours of research and testing to help you find the best one. Here are the top 5 best back supports for office chair:
1. Everlasting Comfort Memory Foam Back and Seat Cushion Combo
The best back support for office chairs is the Everlasting Comfort Memory Foam Back and Seat Cushion Combo. Not only do you get high-quality support for your back, but you also get an amazing seat cushion to relieve pressure from your tailbone and legs. Here are the key features that make it the best:
- Gel-Infused & Ventilated - Revised formula with 100% pure gel-infused memory foam with strategically placed holes to enhance comfort and cooling.
- Heat Responsive - The high-quality memory foam responds to the heat of your body and molds perfectly into the shape of your back and bottom.
- Back and Seat Cushion - This is the only one on the list that comes with both a back and seat cushion. This combo provides insane value for the price.
- Lifetime Guarantee - The company is determined to provide the best customer experience. Satisfaction guarantee, no questions asked.
Why is this the best back support for us: We couldn’t find another back support that came close in terms of quality with the Everlasting Comfort. Not only is it made with 100% memory foam, but it’s breathable as well. If you experience pain or discomfort, this cushion has got your back -- and your butt.
If you have to choose one right now, the Everlasting Comfort Memory Foam Back and Seat Cushion Combo is the best back support for office chairs, bar none. Should you not have the time to read further, you’ve done yourself a favor by buying this option. Your back will say thank you. 🙂
2. Cureve Natural Therapies Lumbar Support
Coming in at a close second is the Cureve Natural Therapies Lumbar Support. Because it comes with two gel packs (for heat or cold), this back support is perfect to proactively fight back pain. This unique feature is what makes this back support one of the best. These are the other key features:
- Heat or Cold Therapy - Comes with two gel packs that are microwaveable or freezable. Slip the gel pack inside the pillow pocket to reduce inflammation and soothe aches.
- Firm Back Support - Unlike many lumbar cushions that quickly lose their firmness, this back support stays firm after repeated use, especially with the hot and cold gel packs.
- Easy to Use - Installing this back support is as easy as it gets. Simply strap the back cushion to the backrest of your chair and you’re ready to go.
- Wide User Base - With a 15 inches width and 12 inches height, this back support is perfect for most users. This size can go well with most office chairs.
Why we like this back support: At first, we were skeptical about the gel pack feature. Is it going to leak? After testing it, the gel pack is durably sealed and can last after multiple uses. We usually keep the gel packs in the fridge. The pillow itself is manufactured with precision and secured to chairs perfectly.
The Cureve Natural Therapies Lumbar Support is a well-manufactured product that offers a unique ‘hot and cold’ feature. Not only is the back support well-built, but the gel packs are not gimmicky and genuinely provide benefits. We highly recommend this product if you have regular lower back pain.
3. RELAX SUPPORT Back Support Pillow
Number three on the list of the best back support for office chairs is the RELAX SUPPORT Back Support Pillow. It’s designed with the patented ArcContour Technology that targets lower back pain accurately. In addition to its unique shape, here are the key features that make this product stand out:
- Unique Shape - The lateral convex shape is what makes this back support unique. It provides just enough lumbar support without being overly bulky.
- Compact and Portable - Because of its smaller shape, it’s perfect not only for office chairs, but for travel, pregnancy, and car seats. You can even put it inside your bag.
- Firm, yet Soft - It’s made with high-quality memory foam that is firm, but soft enough. It will not become ‘lumpy’ or need fluffing over time, like cheaper products.
- Customer Satisfaction - The manufacturer is so confident with this product, that it’s ready to give you a 100% refund if you’re not satisfied. No questions asked.
Why we like this back support: If you’ve done your research, you already know that most back support pillows are either hard as a brick or too soft that they ‘melt away’ into nothing. The RELAX SUPPORT finds that delicate balance between firmness and softness. The adjustable straps allow it to fit anywhere, anytime.
For those of you who like simplicity, the RELAX SUPPORT back support is definitely for you. The compact and portable design of this cushion is perfect to bring anywhere, whether for travel or office use. This is the smallest pillow, with the highest quality, we can find available in the market.
4. Samsonite Ergonomic Lumbar Support Pillow
Moving on to number four features an ergonomic lumbar support pillow from a reputable brand, Samsonite. The name needs no introduction, as it provides an inexpensive lumbar cushion with amazing back support. Get to know the key features that help this product make it into our list:
- Effective Ergonomic Design - Samsonite provides excellent ergonomic design gently guides your body into a position that helps reduce strain on your lower back.
- High-Grade Memory Foam - Firm yet comfortable, the pillow’s supportive memory foam holds your lower back in the right posture when sitting.
- Adjustable Single Strap - An adjustable chair strap built into this lumbar cushion makes installation a simple, one-step process. No fuss, no muss.
- Super Versatile - This back pillow goes wherever you need extra lumbar support. It can be installed quickly with the easy-to-use and adjustable one-clip belt.
Why we like this back support: Our first impression when trying the Samsonite Ergonomic Lumbar Support Pillow for the first time is how easy to install the strap is. Not only does it fit most chairs, but it’s surprisingly comfortable. Because it locks into place well, the back support is solid.
Samsonite is well-known for its excellent quality and this Ergonomic Lumbar Support Pillow is no exception. We tried out the basic lumbar support version and it got the job done. Nonetheless, you can browse around for different shapes from Samsonite, from a half-moon to full-sized lumbar support.
5. LoveHome Memory Foam Lumbar Support Back Cushion
Last but not least is the LoveHome Memory Foam Lumbar Support Back Cushion. It features a streamline ergonomic design, made with high-density memory foam and breathable cover. This product made it into the list because of its wide range of applications. These are the other key features:
- Effective Ergonomic Design - The streamlined design and high-quality premium memory foam provide effective support for your lower back.
- Breathable Mesh Cover - The 3D mesh breathable cover keeps air circulating to prevent sweat and moisture, keeping you cool throughout the day.
- Two Adjustable Straps - Equipped with two extension straps to make the back cushion fit perfectly to any office chair. It also prevents the pillow from sliding.
- Many Colors to Choose From - While color is not one of the most important considerations, the freedom to choose from many colors is a fun benefit.
Why we like this back support: In addition to the streamlined ergonomic shape, LoveHome gives us multiple color options to choose from. From modern black to bright pink, they have many colors to beautify your office chair, without forgetting to provide support for your back.
The LoveHome Memory Foam Lumbar Support gives you excellent support to your lower back. Made with a breathable mesh cover, it’s removable and washable. This back support is excellent in terms of compatibility and will fit most chairs, including office chairs and car seats.
Best Back Support for Office Chairs Honorable Mentions
While we’ve concluded the list for the best back support for office chairs, we have to give an honorable mention to the two products below. They are excellent products, however, they have some drawbacks that prevent them from making it on the list. Nonetheless, some of their features may be for you.
1. Kingphenix Mesh Lumbar Support Cushion
For those of you who prefer thin back support for office chairs, the Kingphenix Mesh Lumbar Support Cushion is for you. Don’t be fooled by the thin mesh. It’s designed to promote cool airflow without any of the bulk, making this product perfect for office workers who work in warmer climates.
Why it didn’t make the list: There’s absolutely nothing wrong with the Kingphenix Mesh Lumbar Support Cushion. It all comes down to personal preference. We like thicker pillows better than a simple mesh structure. Nonetheless, if thin mesh lumbar support is your thing, this might be the best one available.
The Kingphenix Mesh Lumbar Support Cushion is perfect for hotter temperatures. You won’t deal with annoying back sweats. Best of all, it’s super affordable as you’ll get two pieces on each purchase. You can use one in your car and one at the office. Now that’s a good deal. 🙂
2. Qutool Large Lumbar Support Pillow
The Qutool Larger Lumbar Support Pillow is shaped differently from the others on this list. It’s larger shape is designed to hug your back entirely. With more than 17 inches of height, this pillow supports both your upper and lower back, even your neck. It’s also made with memory foam.
Why it didn’t make the list: We can see that this pillow is designed for ‘normal’ chairs. The shape of this lumbar support pillow resembles the backrest of racing-style gaming chairs. For us, it’s just too big. We prefer a cushion that focuses on providing more support, not to remodel the entire backrest of a chair.
The Qutool Large Lumbar Support Pillow is for you if you are taller than the average person, or you’re working on a very stiff chair. Regular chairs, wheelchairs, or desk chairs sometimes offer little to no support. This is where the Qutool Pillow can help ‘remodel’ your chair’s backrest.
Benefits of Lumbar Support for Office Chairs:
Many people wonder, is lumbar support bad for you? The best back support for office chairs is actually good for your back. According to the Chiropractic & Manual Therapies, A lumbar support pillow improved an objective measure of comfort in healthy individuals and patients with lower back pain.
Here are the benefits of lumbar support cushions for chairs:
- Promotes Better Posture - A regular office chair can only do so much in supporting your lower back, If your chair doesn’t provide enough comfort, a lumbar support cushion is perfect to support your back and promote better alignment when sitting.
- Affordable - While the best ergonomic office chair is undeniably the go-to option to promote better sitting posture, a lumbar support cushion is the next best thing. You don’t have to break the bank to get instant pain relief for your back pain.
- Reduce Pain and Fatigue - Even with the most comfortable chair, sitting in one position for a long period of time is bad for you. A lumbar support cushion can help switch things up when sitting. You can alternate between using them or not.
- Compact and Portable - A lumbar support cushion can be a reliable companion because you can bring it anywhere with you. Not only can you use it at the office, but you can use it in the car, or at home. You can rely on them to support you anytime, anywhere.
Best Back Supports for Office Chair Buyers’ Guide:
So what goes into finding the best lumbar support for office chairs? With so many options available, it’s easy to get overwhelmed. To help you make an informed decision, here are the most important considerations to choose the best one for you:
1. Ergonomic Design
The number one priority for choosing the best back support for office chairs is ergonomics. According to the International Ergonomics Association, ergonomics is a science-based discipline to optimize human well-being and overall performance. This is what sets an ergonomic lumbar pillow apart from a regular pillow.
2. Adjustable Straps
When choosing a lumbar support cushion for your chair, you would want something that will firmly stay in place now, would you? Imagine buying a flimsy cushion that moves all over the place. With that said, we’ve done our part to make sure that the straps on each back support are adjustable and secure.
3. Breathable Material
No one wants a back support pillow that makes their backs sweat profusely. Yuck. Choosing a breathable lumbar support cushion is important to keep you cool, especially when required to sit for long periods of time. You’ll find that all of the back supports on this list are made with premium breathable materials.
4. Removable and Washable Cover
Last but not least, is having a lumbar support cushion with a removable and washable cover. This is something often overlooked by many, as your back pillow is something that will be used routinely. Dirt and grime will accumulate over time. With that said, it’s paramount to wash it regularly.
We believe that finding comfort at the office should be a priority in today’s day and age, especially when required to sit at work for a living. Hopefully, by finding the best back support for office chairs can help your cause. With that said, here’s a full recap of our top picks on this list:
The best lumbar support for office chair is the Everlasting Comfort Memory Foam Back and Seat Cushion Combo. Its ergonomic design is second to none, giving you superior comfort when sitting. Plus, you’ll get both back support and seat cushion. It’s the best of both worlds.
An interesting option if you’re looking for additional heat or cold is the Cureve Natural Therapies Lumbar Support. It’s one of the most unique back support cushions we’ve tested to date, mainly because of the additional gel packs that come with it. The quality is amazing and you won’t regret buying it.
If you’re looking for the smallest and most portable, go for the RELAX SUPPORT Back Support Pillow. The patented lateral convex shape is a game-changer. It’s firm, but you won’t feel like having a brick on your back. The delicate balance between soft and firm is what makes this pillow awesome.
To all of our amazing readers, remember to not only find proper support, but also to move around in between sitting time. A good rule of thumb is to stretch and walk around every 20 minutes of sitting. You can have the best lumbar support for office chairs in the world, but being active is always better. 🙂
See also: Ergonomic Chairs